Introduction to Assertive Communication
Aim: To provide strategies and techniques for identifying behaviour types and communicating effectively, particularly in situations we find challenging.
Space to Breathe (monthly workshops)
What is Mindfulness?
- Mindfulness is a state of mind where we are intentionally paying attention to the present moment. Rather than brooding about the past or worrying about the future, mindfulness cultivates our ability to be present in the here and now.
- Mindfulness is about observing what is present without criticism; being compassionate with ourselves. Cultivating a gentle curiosity and sense of openness towards our self and our experience rather than giving ourselves a hard time or constantly judging ourselves and our experience.
- In our 24/7 culture mindfulness is about giving ourselves permission and time to be a human ‘being’ rather than a human ‘doing’.
What are the benefits?
- Mindfulness helps to settle and calm the body and mind. It helps decrease worry and anxiety and encourages a good night’s sleep.
- Mindfulness helps to focus and concentrate.
- Mindfulness has a positive effect on the immune system and so encourages physical well-being.
What happens in the workshops?
- In the workshops there will be a short explanation of mindfulness and then there will be 2 or 3 guided mindfulness meditations. No experience is needed and you don’t to bring anything special, just a willingness to be open to your experience. Come once out of curiosity or sign up for every workshop, it’s up to you. They run every month and you can attend one, some, or all of the sessions.